Friday, June 1, 2012

Fitness: My Beating Heart

This picture has been my facebook profile image, my computer desktop and my inspiration to keep going, no matter what.

credit
Besides the fact that this kindof looks like one of the Kardashians (something to which none of us need aspire), I have found it hugely motivating over the course of the past few weeks. 

I started pursuing my health with a vengeance about 12 weeks ago.  At an unabashed 30 years, I was horrified to find myself slowly taking up more space than I used to, ceasing to sleep, torturing others with foul and fickle moods and enduring terrifying heart palpitations from panic attacks.

credit

That is the very opposite of any kind of happy.  I was miserable.  I was scared, and I finally started doing something about it.

I took to yoga and drinking obscene amounts of water.  Cardio, pilates, weight lifting...anything to keep my heart beating regularly and restore my natural sleep rhythm. 

Thankfully, the advice we all hear on the Doctors every day at 11 and read in all the glossy magazines really does work.  Diet and exercise, diet and exercise and drink, drink, drink - that is the only way to keep these bodies really happy.

I'll work on mastering diet soon.  I'm only happy to report that my efforts to tackle exercise are going exceedingly well. 

I signed up for  5K race this summer - eek! - and I'm really looking forward to telling about my honest to goodness journey from Couch-Potato to Race-Finisher. 

If you're reading, I hope this gives you a little hope for your own health.  It's a slow, hard process to regain lost ground.  I, however, am living proof that even the non-athlete can succeed at slowing the irrevocable hand of time.

More soon on my experience getting back into shape...and no, I'm not there yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment