Thursday, June 7, 2012

Fitness: Brutal Honesty

I am 30 years old.  I'm married.  I work.  I had a baby. 

I'm overweight. 

I've fought off the poundage my whole life, and I'm really good at masking my wobble most of the time.  It's time to change that though.  So I'm going to let you in on the raw data. 

I got on the scale two months ago and it said:

185

The tape measure told me more:

Waist 35"
Hips 45"
Thighs 26"
Arms 14"

I was ashamed.  I've gained over 20 pounds, and kept it on, since my wedding day.  Back then, I was 162 pounds of muscle.  I was a gym rat.  I had nothing to do but take care of myself.  In my boredom, I spent an hour or two at the gym every night after work.

Then I married beer and pizza, and in that land, there is no gym.  There is only TV. 

Years of hard work have been erased by a handful of new and really bad habits. 

But right now, as I type this, my chair is only holding up 175 pounds of me.  It took MAJOR effort to get to that first milestone. 

And I've lost tape off of everything:

Waist 34"
Hips 42.5"
Thighs 24.5"
Arms 13"

Everything counts - every bite, every rep, every footfall.  It's like saving money by pennies and nickles, but after a few years, you can buy a playstation that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment